During the time of pregnancy, it can get very difficult to handle stuff if you get cold. Times are difficult and getting cold over it can cause a lot of problems. If you pop cough drop during that scenario then it might help to make the situation at bit relaxing. It will help you to get some sleep and a lot of relaxation. But the question here is for cough drops while pregnant is are cough drops safe when pregnant?
It totally depends on the type of pregnant cough drop you are choosing for yourself. A lot of pregnant cough drops are there which are safe to consume during the time of pregnancy but there are also some which can cause problems.
How cough drops works?
Work of cough drops is done in few different ways. It helps in increasing the production of saliva which helps in keeping the moisture in a sore throat intact.
There are also some ingredients which help in increasing the numbness of the throat to make the pain as well as the coughing to get minimized.
They look pretty simple and you must be thinking that all of the cough drops are same but you might be wrong and you should look for what type of cough drops while pregnant you are using. All cough drops are not equal and there are some things you should look after when you are looking for cough drops while pregnant.
What you should look for?
Things you should look for in cough drops while pregnant
- Look for the drops which don’t promise anything more than soothing the cough of yours and also the sore throat as well.
- If you find a product which promises to shorten the cold of yours or it even promises to deliver vitamins with a boost then it does contain more ingredients than your body requires and needed.
- Chloraseptic and Cepacol are the cough drops which are safe at the time of pregnancy as recommended by the doctors.
- Menthol is an ingredient which is quite common in many brands but there had not been a lot of research’s done by the researchers about menthol during pregnancy.
- You should try to avoid the menthol drops or you can also talk to the OB/GYN of yours.
- Try to consult your doctor before taking any medicine during the time of pregnancy.
Cough drops you should avoid
- You should not use any cough drops which claim that they are made with the help of herbal ingredients. You might be able to find them in many food stores which say they are all natural. No tests have been done on them and there is no answer if they are safe during pregnancy or not.
- Cough syrups which have an alcohol percentage of more than 10% are not safe to consume during pregnancy. Try to look for the alcohol free versions.
How to relieve your sore throat without using cough drops
Most of the cough drops are safe to consume during the time of pregnancy but if you are taking a dozen of it in a day then it might not be a good idea. There are 2 methods with the help of which you will be able to get relief which taking cough drops from market.
1. Make cough drops at home
You can make pregnant cough drops at home as cough drop and pregnancy is not a very big issue and you can make pregnant cough drops at home as well.
You have to use 3 products to make cough drops during pregnancy at home which are ginger, lemon and honey. There are a lot of recipes which are available online which are completely free of chemicals and also any kind of medications.
2. Use salt water
You can gargle with warm salted water and it will surely help you to get some relief from your cough and further ease the throat of yours.
When to call your doctor?
If the cough of yours still persists and you have symptoms of cold which has lasted for a long time then you should call the doctor of yours. If you have body temperature more than 101 degree F then you should call him. It is always good to take precautions when the time is critical.
All in All
So this was the complete article on cough drop and pregnancy. I hope we were able to tell you are cough drops safe when pregnant. You should always take the consultancy of your doctor before taking any kind of medicine especially during pregnancy as it is always safe to take precautions.
If you have any questions then you can mention them in the comments down below and if you have any suggestions then you can mention them in the comments as well.