What is neck crick?
This is a term which is sometimes used when a person wants to describe stiffness in the muscles which is around the lower neck and the shoulder blades. This is a bit different from the regular neck pain and the chronic pain. There are a number of reasons due to which it might be caused.
There are some times when the crick in the neck can limit temporarily the range of motion of your neck. When a person suffers from Crick in neck, he usually feels more uncomfortable and stiffness in the muscles. In this article we will tell you what is a crick in the neck is and if you want to know how to get rid of a crick in your neck then keep reading this article.
Causes of Crick in neck
There are many people who have a question in their mind that how do you get a crick in your neck. Well, it is quite simple.
- It can be caused due to keeping your neck in a position which is a bit awkward for a long period of time. If you sleep in a position which is a bit awkward or you might sit in a position which is slumped for more than an hour you might move the vertebra of yours out of the alignment.
- You might put a stretch which is abnormal on the muscles as well as the tenders of your neck which does put pressure on the nerves on the back of the neck of yours. This might cause the neck of yours to feel stiff and also make it a bit difficult to bend as well as stretch.
- In some cases at the time of running or even weight training you might wake up with crick in the neck of yours.
- In very rare cases crick in neck can be the result of a pinched nerve, arthritis or even an infection caused in the body of yours.
If you want to know how to get rid of crick in neck then you can follow these methods –
Rice sock or Heating pad
You can apply heat to the side of the muscles which are stiff and can help them loosen up. Once you are in a condition that your muscles are able to move freely, the nerves in the spine of yours could relax and the range of motion will also return.
To achieve this you will have to apply a Heating pad on the area of stiffness for around 10 minutes. If you don’t have any kind of heating pad then you can try to put some uncooked rice in a sock which is clean and you will have to keep it in a microwave for around 30 seconds. You can apply the rice sock on the affected area and it will work similar to the Heating pad.
What doing this process you will have to use hot water and some steam so that you can massage and also relax the neck of yours. For this you can stand under a shower of hot water with the Jets which will massage the neck of yours. This may be enough to relax the muscles of yours and make them move freely again. If you have a steam room available in your area then you can visit that place. You can also take a bath of hot water and it will also do the similar effect.
For this you will have to do some gentle stretches and it will help you to free the nerves in the neck of yours from the stiffness of the muscles which surround the nerves of the neck. For this you will have to slowly and very carefully move your head side to side.
You can also try to lay flat on the back of yours and raise your arms to the level of your shoulder and move your head slowly from side to side.
You will have to keep breathing deeply and move very carefully so that you will be able to get relieved from the stiffness of your muscles. If you are in a condition that you feel sharp pains then you should discontinue the stretching as it might make the condition even worse.
Visiting a Chiropractor or a physical therapist
If all of these don’t work for you then you can also take an appointment for a physical therapist or are chiropractor. For a stiff neck chiropractor or the physical therapist will help you to get some relief, after all they are the experts of this field and know the professional ways to how to fix crick in neck. They might also suggest you to improve the habits of your lifestyle as well as the posture of yours so that you could prevent the Crick in neck in the future.
You will notice that the crick in neck gets resolved by itself in some hours with the use of home treatment. We all know that prevention is always better than the cure and if you are in a condition that you suffer from this problem regularly then you can follow the steps to avoid crick in neck –
- You can try to evaluate the posture of yours and try to improve it. You should try to sit in a straight position for longer times.
- You should try to adjust the sleeping position of yours and invest in a good quality pillow which is a bit film and is actually better for the spine of yours.
- You should use a chair which is more comfortable and gives your neck good support.
- Try stretching the neck of yours very gently a few times in a day. You should always do it when you wake up as well as when you sit on a disc for a very long period of time. The neck exercises will help you to warm the muscles of yours and make them less stiff.
If you follow these tips then I am sure that you will have no need to find a method to how to get rid of crick in neck.
All in All
This was the complete article on how to fix a crick in your neck.It is not a major issue and it can happen to anyone but you should try to take some measures so that you don’t suffer from crick in neck.
I hope this article was helpful to you and if you have any suggestions then you can mention it in the comment down below. If you have any questions then you can also ask them in the comments as well.